A Canadian physical education instructor James Naismith introduced this game in the year 1891. Since then Basketball has commanded a great fan following. Millions flock to watch basketball matches - both, College and Professional matches, in order to be a part of the exhilaration that this game commands. Today basketball game is recognized as the unofficial American pastime. During the year 2001 alone more than 28 million Americans participated in the game (which is more compared to any other team sport).
Basketball Game Rule
Basketball Games are a test to player's agility and endurance, and require remarkable hand-eye coordination on the players' behalf. The simple rule of basketball game play on a rule- Get your team's basketball through the opposing team's basket as many times as possible while preventing your opposing team from doing the same (i.e., taking a Shot in to your
basket). The team having the ball plays in offence and the other team plays in defense (trying to stop the offence team from scoring
a Shot). Official basketball games are played for a predetermined period of time and the team that scores maximum points within the stipulated time is declared as winner.
Basketball Scores are determined depending on the type of shot made:
- One point for every successful free throw (Foul Shot)
- Two points for one Shot
- Three points for a Long-range Shot (6.25 meters from the basket)
Basketball Court Dimension
The official basketball court dimension i where competitive matches are played is a rectangle field 94 feet long and 50 feet wide. The field is divided in to two halves by the midcourt line. A Center Circle is drawn along the midcourt line that is used during tip-off (At the beginning of the game the referee throws the ball in the air and one player from each team tries to tip the ball to his team). The baskets are mounted to each side of backboard (game field) at a height of 10 feet.
The main basketball court dimension is the distance from the baseline to the face of backboard. This dimension is useful in the installation.
The dimension from the baseline to the face of the backboard will be 4" and will occur in a setting where sanction play will occur. Best option is to place a pole type basketball system in residential setting. With this you can make the court area less and this is the rule for sanctioned play as well where as in a residential setting the closer you can get to the above dimension without significantly diminishing the playing area is preferred.
NBA Basketball Players
It is possible to play a game of basketball with as few as two players. Organized basketball games are however played by two teams comprising of five players per team (A team may have any number of substitute players but only five players per team can play at a time). NBA Basketball players are typically characterized by their respective positions. There are five positions in traditional basketball:
- Point guard - Also known as the Floor General, he is the best dribbler and passer of the team
- Shooting guard - Is also called Two Guard and is the team's best outside shooter
- Power forward - Are skilled rebounders placed near the basket in order to get free from the opposition player guarding him.
- Small forward - Is typically a better outside shooter compared to power forward
- Center - Generally the tallest team player is the center. His main role is to secure a position near the opposite team basket to get an easy shot.
In every basketball match there will also be one referee and one or two umpires in order to control the game.
Take a look at few basketball rules that every player is required to adhere to while playing an official basketball match:
- The offensive team cannot permit the basketball to go behind the midcourt line and touch it before the opposing team touches it. This is called a backcourt violation and the ball will be awarded to the opposing team.
- Every player is required to bounce the ball while moving around the court. This is called dribbling. A player can take utmost two steps after he stops dribbling in order to avoid committing a double-dribble violation, in which case the opposing team gains possession of the ball.
Basketball Foul occurs when one player tries to take unfair advantage over another player (or attempts in anyway to disadvantage the game of the opponent player). If a player commits more than five fouls in a game (six fouls for NBA and few other professional leagues) then the player will be 'fouled out' and will be removed from the game. If no substitute player is present to take his place then the entire team will have to forfeit the match.
Take a look at common Fouls committed by basketball game players :
- Personal Foul - Denotes all normal fouls. In the event of a personal foul the players who are fouled will receive a free throw or will receive the ball to pass inbounds again
- Technical Foul - Occurs when a player or coach displays poor sportsmanship by arguing / fighting with another player or the referee. The player (or coach) committing the foul will be disqualified from the match.
- Unsportsmanlike Foul - These are blatant fouls often involving excessive contact and call for harsh penalties.
We thank you for visiting our directory, and wish you well in whatever endeavor brought you here. We are constantly adding new information and resources to our site, both general and state specific in nature, so check back often.